Notes From A Road Warrior: 8 Tips For Kinder, Gentler Travel
By Christy Lamagna, CMP, CMM, CTSM
A road warrior’s travel tips for a kinder gentler trip: Whether you’re traveling for work or pleasure, the key to a comfortable trip is to pack the right gear. As a million mile flyer, I’ve had more than my share of learning opportunities on how to travel. So while many of us are making plans for pleasure trips, as well as the work-related ones, I thought I’d share ideas for how to kick back, relax and let a comfortable journey begin.
Here are eight of my must-pack items:
- Portable charger and multi-prong adapter. Not only can I recharge my gear, I can share with others. Bonus tip: Giving a stranger a battery boost super charges your networking. You never know who you’re sitting near. Opportunities are everywhere if you take the time to find them.
- Lavender water spritz. Flying makes skin dry and feeling “stale.” I carry a small bottle of scented water that I spritz during the flight. It wakes me up, takes away some of the plane smell that comes with flying and makes me feel clean.
- Individually wrapped hand wipes. By the time I’m ready to snack, my hands have touched a seat belt that has likely never been sanitized, my suitcase handles and myriad other germ-laden items so they get a quick cleaning. Look for scented wipes that leave your hands smelling good but don’t make food taste funny. They also double as face towels if I run out of my lavender water.
- A magazine. Kindle batteries die. I pack a magazine I’ve been meaning to read for weeks and finally read it. This leaves one less thing to dust around when I get home. Bonus tip: Magazines can be shared with seat mates and are great conversation starters.
- A pashmina. It folds into my bag and is there when the flight becomes frigid. Doesn’t it always? Doubles as a pillow or blanket. At my destination, it dresses up whatever I wear.
- A single house key. I bring a spare rather than my entire key ring. This eliminates extra weight in my bag and prevents me from losing them. This only works if you get a ride to the airport.
- Online reward card filing system. My hotel and rewards numbers are in the contact section of my phone so no cards are needed. It’s much simpler than carrying all of them.
- A pair of shoes a half-size too large. One of the first things once I’ve boarded is kick off my shoes. By the time we land, my feet don’t fit back into them. So, I buy a pair of shoes a half-size too large and put insoles into them to make up the extra space. I have the insoles for when I’ll be doing a lot of walking or want to wear heels that can make my feet hurt.
Tags: Notes From A Road Warrior 8 Tips For Kinder Gentler Travel, Travel Tips, Travel, Tips, Comfortable, Strategic Planners, Strategic Events, Plan Your Meetings