LET THE FIESTA BEGIN! MARGARITA CUPCAKES
HOME >> TASTEBUZZ
While on a site trip in Seattle, Washington we took a brief detour and stumbled upon these delicious tiny fiesta cupcakes. Just in time for Cinco de Mayo, these Margarita Cupcakes with tequila are insane! A lime cake with a lime tequila buttercream, do we need to say more. Let the fiesta begin!!!
Margarita Cupcakes With Tequila
For the Cupcakes:
1½ Cups All-Purpose Flour
1½ Tsp Baking Powder
¼ Tsp Salt
½ Cup Unsalted Butter, at Room Temperature
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
2 Eggs, at Room Temperature
Zest and Juice of 1½ Limes
2 Tbsp Tequila
¼ Tsp Vanilla Extract
½ Cup Buttermilk
To Brush the Cupcakes:
1 to 2 Tbsp Tequila
For the Tequila-Lime Frosting:
1 Cup Unsalted Butter, at Room Temperature
2¾ Cups Powdered Sugar
1 Tsp Lime Juice
2 Tsp Tequila
Pinch of Salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Place paper liners in tray; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In an electric mixer on medium-high, beat butter and sugar pale and fluffy.
- Mixer on medium add eggs individually, mixing thoroughly after each.
- Scrape bowl and add lime zest, lime juice, vanilla extract and tequila. Mix until combined. (If mixture starts to curdle, don’t worry, power on!)
- Mixer on low, add dry ingredients in three batches, alternating with the buttermilk in two batches. Mix until incorporated, then one last mix by hand with a spatula.
- Divide batter in muffin cups (makes 12). Baking for 25 minutes or until golden, use a skewer to see if moist or done. Cooling time 5 to 10 min. then remove.
- Brush the tops with tequila; set aside until cooled completely.
- Frosting, whip butter in mixer on medium-high for 5 min. Reduce to medium-low and gradually add the powdered sugar, add in the lime juice, salt mix until fluffy. Frosting soft add a spoonful or two of sugar.
- Frost and garnish, if desired, with lime zest and sprinkling of salt and lime wedge.